Task Force Bangon Marawi: No more IDPs by 2019, new rehab proposals in
File photo of Secretary Eduardo del Rosario (center) leading the Task Force Bangon Marawi briefing (PCOO Photo)

In a press briefing last August 24 Task Force Bangon Marawi Chief Secreyary Eduardo del Rosario said that to address the shelter backlog and observations of families lacking shelter, another site is being constructed for temporary shelters and that private lands will be acquired for more permanent settlement of Internally Displaced Persons or IDPs.

"As of now ‘no iyong IDPs natin na nasa evacuation center is about 817 families. There is now an ongoing construction in Site 2 as temporary shelter that can even accommodate 1,500. So we expect that all IDPs in all evacuation centers will be transferred to all temporary shelter by 2018 or by December. So by 2019 wala na tayong mga IDPs occupying evacuation centers, "he explained.

Other groups being entertained for Marawi rehab

In the same press briefing, Del Rosario said that there will be delays in the implementation of the Marawi rehabilitation activities previously slated to start last July, since the original consortium proposing the plan failed to submit certain requirements.

He explained that they are entertaining other offers from a group called Power China and remain open to other proposals in case negotations with this group fail. He said they have received offers from groups in South Korea and Indonesia which are considered as back up proposals.

"By next week, Task Force Bangon Marawi will be ready to announce if a successful negotiation was reached; and if reached, we can give you our definite time table of groundbreaking and eventual rehabilitation of the most affected area," del Rosario said.

In the same press briefing officials also shared the efforts of various agencies such as the Department of Agrarian Reforms Programs on local food production and the training programs offered by the Technical Education and Skills Development Author ity for local residents.